How-To Set Up Aladdin Connect Virtual Keys
Did you know that Genie’s Aladdin Connect smartphone garage door controller provides you the ability to create virtual keys? What are Virtual Keys? Virtual Keys are inviting users, to your Aladdin Connect App to provide them access to your garage door. All done virtually, without the need to hand out an actual key or garage door keypad code. You may find it helpful to send virtual keys to service repair people, the babysitter, the dog walker, friends or relatives. These Virtual Keys can be time, date, or day of the week restricted and you can get custom alerts on who is coming and going and when. Also the Virtual Key can be revoked by the homeowner at anytime!
First we explain: What is an additional user?
Under the USERS tab of your Aladdin Connect app, you can invite other people to also access your garage through the app. They will download the app, setup their own account, and accept your invite to access your garage
Not all users are the same though, how can I be sure the right people are getting in at the right times?
There are different access types available and you can personalize this for each person before you send the invite = creating a Virtual Key.
- Full Access can be given to people like family members or roommates. Full family style access will let the user open or close the doors you give them access to and they are able to see the state of the doors (if its opened or closed) at any time or day.
- Temporary or Recurring Access can be given to people like babysitters, dog walkers or service providers. This type of access will allow the user to open or close the doors you give them access to only at the specific date, day and times you set them up for.
Example of Temporary Access: Dave the Plumber can have access to DOOR 1 but only Monday, April 21st, 2019, between the hours of 8:00am – 10:00am.
Example of Recurring Access (repeatable): Jane the babysitter can have access to DOOR 1 but only every Monday and Wednesday between the hours of 8:00am – 4:00pm.
The added users cannot invite or remove other people from the door or create door rules. Only the owner can invite additional users or create rules. Once the specific date/time and/or designated time periods have passed, these users will no longer have access to their doors.
Ok so now that we explained that, Let’s show you how to create your Virtual Keys!
Step: 1 Under the ‘USERS’ tab, press ‘ADD SHARED ACCESS’
Step 2 Adding Invite
- Enter a general name for your invited user
- Enter the actual name of the user – this may or may not be different than your entry above
- Enter the user’s email address
- Identify what type of access you wish this person to have:
1) Full Access – access anytime
- i.e.: Family members; no restrictions
2) Recurring Access - user that will have a limit on the times they can access your home
- Daily dog walker, Repeat Daily, 8-10am
- Babysitter, Repeat Mon-Wed, 7am-5pm
3) Temporary Access – user’s access for a temporary period will expire; a single occurrence for access; not repeatable
- Plumber, cable installer, garage door tech – specifically and only on Thursday, July 20th, 3pm-5pm
Step 3: Type of Access
1) Full Access – access anytime: i.e.: Family members; no restrictions
2) Recurring Access - user that will have a limit on the times they can access your home ; such as daily dog walker, Repeat Daily, 8-10am or; Babysitter, Repeat Mon-Wed, 7am-5pm
3) Temporary Access – user’s access for a temporary period will expire; a single occurrence for access; not repeatable; such as; Plumber, cable installer, garage door tech – specifically and only on Thursday, July 20th, 3pm-5pm
Step 4: Email Invite:
After you complete their setup, the user will receive an email invite with instructions. (Example Below)
- On the invited users smart device, they will either setup their own new account or login to an existing account they already have
- As described in their invite email, they will see the ‘Pending Invite’ under their ‘DOORS’ tab
- They will press the ‘Pending Invite’
Shared Access Response:
- Here they can see the access type that has been set for them
- They can choose to Accept or Decline from this screen
- If they accept, they will receive this message:
Available Shares Listing:
- When they return to the ‘DOORS’ tab, they will now see their ‘Pending Invite’ has turned into an ‘Available Share’
Access Shares Listing:
Under your account (the main account), the user you just invited will now show under the ‘USERS’ tab
That finishes the set up of your Virtual Keys. Now you can add an industry leading 20 Virtual Key users to your Aladdin Connect account. The Aladdin Connect App is free to download and to use for you and your Virtual Key users. Always know who is coming and going from your home; peace of mind provided by The Genie Company.
- Danielle Anderson