38874R3.S DC Control Board Replacement
These instructions are written assuming that you will have ample room around Opener to perform this repair. Some rare instances will require removal of the unit from its mounting hardware and repair made on a bench or floor. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for proper assembly and carefully read and understand all warnings and cautions pertaining to your unit.
BE SURE ELECTRICAL POWER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE INPUT POWER LINES PRIOR TO REMOVING THE MOTOR COVER.
ANY AND ALL REPAIRS MADE TO THIS UNIT MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR DISCONNECTED FROM THE OPENER AND IN THE CLOSED POSITION.
1. Pull emergency release cord on the carriage to disengage opener to close the door if necessary. (If unable to lower door using opener, use extreme caution manually closing the door. Before pulling the red emergency release cord, make certain people and objects are clear of the door opening.)
2. Unplug the opener power cord from power receptacle.
3. Open lens cover by pressing middle tab inward and remove light bulbs. FIG. 1.
4. Remove wall control and Safe-T-Beam wires from terminal block located on side of opener FIG. 1. Use a small common screwdriver to press in on orange tabs while gently pulling wires from the terminal block. Marking the wires can help facilitate replacement.
5. Unplug any optional accessories such as a battery backup and/or network adapter.
6. Remove the two 5/16” screws securing powerhead cover to chassis. FIG. 2.
7. Allow the motor cover to swing down to access control board and wire harnesses.
8. Unplug the following harnesses from the control board. FIG. 4.
• Light harness
• Motor harness
• Opto harness (see step 12-13)
• AC IN harness
• Motion Detector harness (if equipped)
• Green ground wire to chassis (if equipped).
REMOVE AND DISCARD.
9. Powerhead cover can now be removed from opener chassis for repair. (If equipped) Special care should be taken to prevent damage to the motion detector bulb located on the bottom of the motor cover.
10. Remove the three control board mounting screws and the old control board. FIG 3.
11. Feed the new antenna wire through the hole in the cover. Mount the new replacement control board 38874R3.S to the cover and secure with the three screws removed in step 10.
--- SEE BELOW FOR MOTOR TYPES ---
12. If your motor compares to MOTOR TYPE 1. Remove existing harness from the motor and plug pre-installed OPTO SENSOR harness from new control board directly into the motor.
13. If your motor compares to MOTOR TYPE 2. Remove pre-installed OPTO SENSOR harness from the control board and plug existing OPTO harness from the motor into DUAL ENCODER OPTO SENSOR plug on replacement control board. (Or use new harness packed with control board).
14. Hang powerhead cover to chassis to connect all other harnesses removed in step 8.
15. Swing powerhead cover up onto chassis and secure using screws removed in step 6.
16. Install wall control and Safe-T-Beam wires. Install battery backup and/or network harnesses if applicable.
17. Install light bulbs and close lens cover.
18. Reapply power to opener.
19. Limit controls, transmitters and full function test will be required. Refer to the owner’s manual and/or assembly poster for detailed information
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
The unit not getting power to unit do I need to replace the circuit board or what all power going to unit is working
It does sound like the circuit board if you have checked the outlet. If you have recently had a power outage or surge we cannot guarantee this will fix it. Please contact Genie customer service at 1.800.354.3643 for assistance.
If the door doesn’t move when setting the movement limits, is the circuit board faulty?
It could be caused by the circuit board. For troubleshooting assistance, please contact customer service at 1.800.354.3643.
does the 38874R3.S work on a silentmaxed 1000
Yes, it will. But if you have a wall console that is gray with black buttons you will also need to purchase wall console 39165R or the circuit board wall console kit 38875R3.S
my Genie Max 1000 works occationally. when red light on motor box is off, the remote works. when lit it won't? ex tenant took manual with him? been resetting remote by ear? which doesn't seem to work! any ideas? Using the wall remote same situation? Thank You!
When the red light is on the powerhead of the garage door opener, that will indicate a problem. In the owner's manual, on page 22 (click here to view), you can view the troubleshooting guide. You can also contact Genie customer service at 1-800-354-3643 for assistance.