Belt/Chain Drive Carriage Assembly for 8' High Garage Door - 36773S.S
36773S.S Carriage Replacement Instructions
This repair will require removal of the opener from its mounting hardware and repairs made on a bench or floor. Refer to the Owners Manual and/or Installation Poster for detailed disassembly/reassembly instructions and carefully read and understand all warnings and cautions pertaining to the opener.
BE SURE ELECTRICAL POWER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE INPUT POWER LINES PRIOR TO REMOVING THE MOTOR COVER.
ANY AND ALL REPAIRS MADE TO THIS UNIT MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR DISCONNECTED FROM THE OPENER AND IN THE CLOSED POSITION.
1. Close door with opener if able.
2. Pull emergency release cord on the carriage to disengage opener to close the door if necessary. (If unable to lower door the door by using the garage door opener, use extreme caution manually closing the door. Before pulling the emergency release cord, make certain people and objects are clear of the garage door opening.)
3. Unplug opener power cord from power receptacle or turn off breaker to opener.
4. Open lens cover and remove light bulbs. FIG. 1.
5. Remove wall control and Safe-T-Beam® wires from the terminal block. FIG. 2. Use a small common screwdriver to press in on orange tabs while gently pulling wires from block. Mark wires to help facilitate replacement.
6. Remove network dongle and battery backup harnesses from front of opener (if applicable).
7. Remove the 2 nuts & bolts from door arms to separate door from opener. FIG. 3.
8. Remove motor head and rail assembly (FIGs. 4 & 5) from mounting brackets and set on a clean work surface or floor.
9. Remove the 4 self tapping bolts from the rail/motor mounting straps and pull rail from motor head. FIG. 6. Set motor head aside. Set rail assembly on floor upside down to aid in disassembly.
10. Loosen tensioner nut from door end of rail to create slack in belt/chain. FIG. 7.
11. Remove 2 screws from drive gear assembly. Fig. 8.
12. Remove 2 screws holding pulley guard in place. FIG. 9. (Where applicable)
13. Dislodge drive gear assembly from locking tabs (FIG. 8) And slide towards door end of rail to feed tensioner assembly, pulley guard (Not used on all models), and belt/chain out through the end of the rail approximately 8” to10”. FIG. 9.
14. Slide defective carriage out through door end of rail and discard.
15. Install new carriage. Be certain that door arm is facing door end of rail.
16. Slide drive gear assembly, pulley guard, and tensioner assembly back into original position making certain that locking tabs on drive gear assembly protrude through slots in rail and secure with the 2 screws.
17. Secure pulley guard with 2 screws.
18. Tighten tensioner nut until slack is removed from belt/chain.
19. Install rail to motor head assembly using the two mounting straps and 4 self tapping screws.
20. Reinstall opener assembly in reverse order as removed in steps 3-7. Reference your owners manual and installation poster if needed.
21. Tie a knot in release cord (FIG. 10) to secure to carriage release cam. Install release handle approximately 6 feet from floor and tie knot to secure.
22. Plug opener in.
23. Clear and reprogram limit controls per owners manual.
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
I need a carriage for a silentmax 1000 can you tell me which one it is
If you have a normal 7-foot high garage door, you would use the 36773R.S. If you have added an extension kit to your garage door opener, then you would use this 36773S.S for an 8-foot high door.