Aladdin Connect®Smartphone Enabled Garage Door Controller (Retrofit-Kit)
Features and Benefits of Aladdin Connect
Aladdin Connect RetroFit Kit Programming
Phone Support for technical assistance for Aladdin Connect: 1-866-599-4995
Aladdin Connect Quick Set-up Guide (or see below)
FAQ's for Aladdin Connect PDF View
Aladdin Connect Quick Set up Guide Installation Instructions (also see FAQ's below the instructions)
For a video of this installation, visit www.GenieCompany.com/AladdinConnect/InstallationVideo
Need help or have questions? Contact Aladdin Connect™ Customer Service at 1-866-599-4995
Drill & 3/32 Drill Bit, Small common flat head screwdriver, phillips head screwdriver, 5/16 wrench or nut driver, wire cutters/ strippers, hammer
Included Components with the Aladdin Connect Add on kit:
DCM (Door Control Module, DPS (Door Position Sensor), Hardware bag, Power pack, wire spool, insulated staples, instructions
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS: WARNING
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF SEVERE INJURY OR DEATH, READ AND FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS.
1. NEVER let children operate or play with the door controls.
2. Keep remote away from children.
3. Locate the wall control button: A) Within sight of door. B) At a minimum height of 5 feet, so small children cannot reach it.
4. Install the entrapment WARNING label next to the wall button or console, in a prominent location.
5. NO ONE SHOULD CROSS THE PATH OF THE MOVING DOOR.
6. NEVER GO UNDER A STOPPED, PARTIALLY OPEN DOOR.
7. The Aladdin Connect™ operating system is designed for unattended operation. The door could move unexpectedly.
8. DO NOT install Aladdin Connect™ on garage door openers manufactured prior to 1993 without photocell non-contact safety sensors.
9. DO NOT install on one-piece doors
10. Install DCM in a location where it can be seen and heard while standing in the door opening with the door in the open position. SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
UNPLUG GARAGE DOOR OPENER PRIOR TO INSTALLING ALADDIN CONNECT™ Door may operate unexpectedly.
STEP 1 In the Home close to Wi-Fi Router:
1. Remove mounting bracket from the back of DCM. FIG.A,
2. Plug Aladdin Connect™ into a wall outlet with Power Pack. FIG. B. 3. Plug Power Pack into DCM controller.
NOTE: Customers using control apps from other vendors and NOT using the Aladdin Connect™ app to control this system will need to visit www.GenieCompany.com/AladdinConnect for specific Wi-Fi instructions.
STEP 2 In the Home close to Wi-Fi Router: Download the Aladdin Connect™ app.
1. Scan the QR code below or visit your devices app store to start the setup of the Aladdin Connect™ device. Search your app store for Aladdin Connect
2. Follow the on-screen menus to create an account and program system prior to wiring in the garage.
3. At the installation prompt, disconnect Power Pack and move the system to the garage.
STEP 3 In the Garage: These factors must be determined prior to mounting Aladdin Connect™ (DCM) to the wall or ceiling.
1. Optimal Wi-Fi signal strength. If an optimal signal cannot be located within the garage, we recommend moving the wireless router closer to the garage or install a Wi-Fi range extender (Available from most electronic stores)
2. Desired DCM location.
3. Access to 110VAC outlet within 5 feet.
1. Plug Power Pack into wall outlet and DCM near the chosen mounting location. The WI-FI signal indicator LED should illuminate signaling that the Wi-Fi signal is still in tact.
• A GREEN LED indicates a good Wi-Fi signal.
• A RED LED, indicates a lost or faulty signal. Move Aladdin Connect™ to a position that better suits the Wi-Fi signal from the router. Contact Customer Service for further assistance. (1-866-599-4995)
2. Once an optimal signal and location is obtained, UNPLUG Power Pack from the DCM and continue to STEP 4.
STEP 4 Wire Aladdin Connect™: (Single door install shown) Aladdin Connect™ will wire directly to the wall control connections at the powerhead or directly to the wall control. New Genie models shown. Visit www.GenieCompany.com/AladdinConnect for more information on older models and other brands of garage door openers.
1. Make sure garage door opener is unplugged.
• Leave wire spool intact for this part of the install.
2. Split provided dual strand wire approximately 2 in. then strip 1/2 in. of insulation. FIG. A.
3. Press orange tabs down and insert both wires into connection points for DOOR 1 on the back of the DCM. FIG. B.
4. Trim and split the other end of the dual strand wire approximately 2 inches. and then strip 1/2 inch. of insulation. FIG. A.
5. Insert the wire into wall control inputs either:
• (OPTION A) Directly to the garage door opener.
• OR • (OPTION B) To the Back of the wall control.
Current model Genie® Brand opener shown. *See note for other models and brands.
NOTE: Wires from Wall Control to Garage Door Opener ARE polarity sensitive. Be sure to reattach to the proper terminal should they become detached. Wall control should light when wired correctly.
*Wiring methods for other garage door openers. All Genie brand and most competitor brands of garage door openers will operate with Aladdin Connect™. Visit www.GenieCompany. com/AladdinConnect to check compatibility with other manufacturer’s controls or check your garage door opener’s owners manual for wall control wiring instructions. Aladdin Connect™ will operate up to 3 garage door openers.
STEP 5 Mount and Power Aladdin Connect™:
1. Using the DCM mounting bracket as a template at the optimal Wi-Fi location. Mark and drill 2-3/32” pilot holes and mount bracket to the wall using supplied screws. If mounting to drywall, use anchors provided in the kit or if mounting to the perforated angle at opener location, use nuts, washers, and screws provided.
2. Plug Power Pack into a wall outlet. An extended screw is provided to secure Power Pack to the outlet if needed.
3. Plug Power Pack into the back of DCM as shown in STEP 1.
NOTE: LEDs on DCM will flash momentarily as it reacquires signals.
4. Snap DCM onto mounting bracket.
5. Route wires and secure with supplied staples.
6. Affix the warning placard next to wall control or DCM in plain sight to signify that the door will operate remotely.
STEP 6 Mount DPS Module to Garage Door:
DO NOT remove the battery “PULL TAB” from DPS until directed by the app. The DPS should be mounted on the TOP door panel only. Mount to steel reinforced end stile on the far left or right under the top hinge. DO NOT mount to unreinforced garage door panel.
1. Clean the garage door where DPS will mount.
2. Install double-sided tape to the back of mounting bracket and affix to the garage door. NOTE: Double sided tape is designed to hold the bracket in place temporarily only. It is not to be used for permanent mounting.
3. Pre-drill 2 - 3/32 holes. DO NOT drill all the way through the garage door.
4. Use included self-tapping screws to mount DPS bracket to top door panel end stile.
5. Slide DPS down onto mounting bracket. DPS should snap onto the bracket.
NOTE: The DPS included with this kit is already programmed to the DCM. See the NOTE under STEP 7 regarding additional sensors (DPS).
STEP 7 Complete the Programming:
1. Restore power to the garage door opener.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the set-up and test the Aladdin Connect™ system.
NOTE: This kit includes one DPS for use with one door only. The DPS included is already programmed to the DCM. Additional sensors can be purchased separately from your local Genie retailer. To program additional sensors, first complete STEP 7 initial setups, and programming, then go to “Add a Door Sensor” under the “Doors” tab inside the app or view the installation video at www.GenieCompany.com/AladdinConnect/InstallationVideo.
NOTE: A white light will flash and an audible beep will sound as an indication that the door is about to move when commanded by the Aladdin Connect™ or other compatible apps.
If the garage door opener is operated by any means, the Genie Aladdin Connect™ app will send an alert to your device indicating the status of the garage door. A log is also created to indicate when the door was operated and by what means. Visit www.GenieCompany. com/AladdinConnect for more information.
DO NOT RETURN PRODUCT TO STORE. For technical assistance, contact Aladdin Connect™ Customer Service at: 1-866-599-4995 or watch the installation video at: www.GenieCompany.com
Aladdin Connect Router Compatibility
Q1: What type of Wi-Fi router do I need?
A: Your Wi-Fi router must meet this specification: 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz with WPA2 or WPA Security
Q2: I have an old router that only supports WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) encryption. Will Aladdin Connect work with this?
A: No. The WEP standard was introduced in 1999 and retired in 2004. WPA encryption was introduced in 2003 to address the security issues related to WEP. The latest standard is WPA2. If you are still using WEP, we highly recommend that you upgrade your router in order to have the latest in modern security. Aladdin Connect does work with both WPA and WPA2.
Q3: My garage is not very close to the router in my house. Will Aladdin Connect still work for me?
A: It depends on your Wi-Fi router, construction of your home, number of walls that the signal must pass through, and other variables. You should test the strength of your Wi-Fi signal before installing the unit. One way is to take your smart device to the garage and see what kind of signal you are picking up from your router. There are also free apps that could help detect your signal strength although Genie does not specifically endorse any of them. If the signal is weak, you can relocate your router closer to the garage, or purchase a Wi-Fi extender at your local electronics store or online. The extender needs to meet the same specification as the router: 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz with WPA2 or WPA security.
Aladdin Connect Smart Device Compatibility
The Genie Company Aladdin Connect™ garage door controller is compatible with most Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including smartphones and tablets, for the following systems: 1. Apple iOS – Versions 8 and higher. 2. Android – Versions 4.4 and higher.
IMPORTANT: The Genie Aladdin Connect smart garage door controller is compatible only with residential sectional garage doors. It is not compatible with one-piece garage doors.
IMPORTANT: No brand or model of garage door opener made before January 1, 1993, is compatible with the Genie Aladdin Connect smart garage door controller, as is any opener without safety beams, no matter when it was made.
Garage Door Opener Compatibility
GARAGE DOOR OPENER COMPATIBILITY WITH ALADDIN CONNECT
The Genie Company Aladdin Connect™ garage door controller is compatible with the models listed below. If you do not see your opener, please check back in the future as other models may become compatible at a later date. Note that some openers need a special adapter. Ordering information for the adapter is listed at the bottom of the page.
IMPORTANT: The Genie Aladdin Connect controller is compatible only with residential sectional garage doors. It is not compatible with one-piece garage doors.
Compatible Genie openers* for Aladdin Connect:
- Genie Series II openers – best identified by the wall console button(s), which is/are a non-black color. This covers the vast majority of Genie openers, including all the currently sold models.
- Genie Series III openers – best identified by the wall console button(s), which is/are black. If you have one of these units, you will need the special adapter. See ordering information below.
Other compatible brand openers* for Aladdin Connect (listed alphabetically):
- Chamberlain® or LiftMaster® (pre-Security+ 2.0 models) - If the antenna color is not purple or yellow, or otherwise identified as pre-Security+ 2.0 opener, then Aladdin Connect is compatible. (Or in other words, if the antenna color is purple or yellow, or identified in any other way as a Security+ 2.0 opener, then Aladdin Connect is not compatible.)
- Craftsman® (pre-Assurance+ 2.0) – If the antenna color is purple or yellow, or identified any other way as an Assurance+ 2.0 Opener, then the Aladdin Connect unit is NOT compatible. Otherwise, it is.
- Linear® – all models compatible.
- Marantec® – all models compatible.
- Overhead Door® Series II – best identified by the wall console button(s), which is/are a non-black color.
- Overhead Door® Series III – best identified by the wall console button(s), which is/are black. If you have one of these units, you will need the special adapter. See ordering information below.
- Stanley® – all models compatible.
- Wayne Dalton® – all models compatible.
* IMPORTANT: No brand or model of garage door opener made before January 1, 1993, is compatible with the Genie Aladdin Connect controller, as is any opener without safety beams, no matter when it was made.
SPECIAL ADAPTER: To order the special adapter for Genie Series III & Overhead Door you can order this part online, - part # 38013R.