38893R.S Carriage Replacement Instructions
This repair will require removal of the unit from it’s mounting hardware and repair made on a bench or floor. Refer to your Owners Manual for proper assembly and carefully read and understand all warnings and cautions pertaining to your unit.
BE SURE ELECTRICAL POWER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE INPUT POWER LINES PRIOR TO REMOVING THE MOTOR COVER.
ANY AND ALL REPAIRS MADE TO THIS UNIT MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR DISCONNECTED FROM THE OPENER AND IN THE CLOSED POSITION.
1. Pull emergency release cord on carriage to disengage opener to close door if necessary. (If unable to lower door using opener, use extreme caution manually closing door. Before pulling emergency release cord, make certain people and objects are clear of door opening.)
2. Unplug opener power cord from power receptacle.
3. Remove Battery Backup (BBU) from powerhead if equipped:
• Unplug harness from top of powerhead.
• Remove two screws securing BBU to rear of powerhead.
• Tilt BBU up and slide mounting brackets out.
• Set BBU aside. FIG. 1.
4. Remove lens cover(s) by pressing top tabs down and slide lens cover(s) out. Remove light bulbs. FIG. 2.
5. Remove wall control and Safe-T-Beam® wires from terminal block located on side of two bulb models or rear of one bulb models FIG. 3. Use small common screwdriver to press in on orange tabs while gently pulling wires from block. Mark wires to help facilitate replacement.
6. Remove clevis pin and hairpin from door arm assembly. FIG. 4.
7. Remove opener from mounting hardware and set opener assembly on clean work surface.
8. Remove carriage from rail assembly.
• Disconnect carriage by pulling release handle down from turnbuckle and slide out of the way, if necessary. (a)
• Loosen turnbuckle lock-nuts. (7/16” wrench) (b)
• Hold chain/belt and rotate turnbuckle clockwise until threaded ends are free. (c)
• Pull chain/belt out from front idler pulley.(d)
• Remove carriage stop nut and bolt. (e)
• Remove hairpin, clevis pin and idler pulley. (f )
• Slide carriage off of rail. (g)
• Install replacement carriage. Ensure correct direction.
• Reinstall Idler pulley, clevis pin, hairpin, carriage stop bolt and nut.
• Feed chain/belt through idler pulley. Ensure chain/belt is not twisted or bound.
9. Install chain/belt rail assembly:
• Install turnbuckle with “door” end arrow onto the gold threaded end by rotating counter-clockwise one full turn. (a)
• Disengage carriage assembly by rotating release handle downward and insert turnbuckle through the carriage as shown. Ensure chain/belt is not twisted or bound. (b)
• Insert silver threaded shaft into the turnbuckle and rotate turnbuckle counter clockwise one full turn. (c)
• Hold chain/belt and rotate turnbuckle with thumbs counter-clockwise until chain/belt is tensioned properly. Measure chain/ belt tension on opposite side of rail until 1/4” from bottom of rail. (d)
• Once proper tension has been established, hold turnbuckle in place with a 7/16” or adjustable wrench. Tighten both tension nuts with a 7/16” wrench. (e)
10. Reinstall opener assembly to mounting hardware.
11. Reinstall door arms in reverse of step 6.
12. Install wall control and Safe-T-Beam wires.
13. Install light bulbs and lens cover(s).
14. Plug opener in.
15. Operate opener and test all safety features. Refer to owners manual or visit www.GenieCompany.com
16. Install BBU, if equipped. Plug BBU harness into top of powerhead.
NOTE: Limits may require reprogramming. Refer to your owners manual.
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
My daughter pulled the cord for manual release on garage door and now we cannot get it to click back to lock it in place so it will be automatic again. Watched several how-to videos and I believe something broke. Can this be fixed/replaced?
Please contact Genie customer service at 1.800.354.3643.
is this carriage compatible with the Home Depot-bought Genie QuietLift 750 3/4 HP model?
Yes, it is!
This product is compatible with model 3053 Aladdin Connect?
This is compatible with the 3053 model garage door opener.
Is there a part that is inside the black tube of the carriage? my customer has the carriage but the tube is hollow so there is nothing for the belt to lock onto
The inside of the carriage where it is hollow is where the turnbuckle slides into. The turnbuckle is attached to the chain/belt. Once it is inside the tube you can lock it in.
I have the 7155, which I bought from Costco. During programming of the down limit, I ran into an issue and had to pull the the release cord. The part where the cord attaches to the carriage will not go back into the locked position. Is there a trick to get it to lock again? If I have to order a new one, will the carriage for the 7055 work?
You should not have to order a new one. If you lock it back in with the pull cord, manually pull your garage door open or close and it will hit that spot and should lock back into place. For assistance you can also call 1-800-354-3643.
Will this fit on a 7155‑tkv?
Yes, it will!