Your Genie Aladdin Connect smart device enabled garage door controller needs at least two bars (-65dbm) of Wi-Fi signal to communicate with the Aladdin app and the cloud effectively. The first step is to test your Wi-Fi strength in your garage.
First you should turn off your cellular data. Some phones automatically try to use cellular data when a Wi-Fi network is not connected to the internet. Your Aladdin Connect needs to connect directly to your Wi-Fi network.
- For iOS devices, turn off cellular data by exiting the app and opening settings. Once in settings, find the option labeled “Cellular” and tap to open Cellular settings. At the top of the page, tap to turn the green switch on the right-hand side of the screen off. The switch should turn grey.
- For Android devices, turn off cellular data by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping settings. Find and press ‘Data Usage’ to open cellular settings. Flick the ‘Mobile Data’ switch from on to off.
The simplest way to test your signal strength is to connect your smartphone to your home Wi-Fi network while standing in your garage where you would like to install the Aladdin Connect module. Look at the Wi-Fi icon at the top of your smartphone screen and check to make sure you have at least two bars of strength. Note that the Wi-Fi indicator is different from the cell signal indicator.
If you determine that you do not have at least two bars of Wi-Fi strength, there are a few reasons you may have limited or no Wi-Fi signal in your garage. These include:
- Signal interference from other electronics – such as a flat-screen TV
- Obstructions – such as a cabinet
- Interference from appliances
To eliminate these interferences to your Wi-Fi signal you can take the following steps:
- Make sure that your Wi-Fi router is out in the open, not hiding behind any furniture, cabinets, or a TV
- Move your router closer to the garage
- Purchase a Wi-Fi extender, available at electronic stores such as Best Buy®. A Wi-Fi extender will connect to your existing Wi-Fi network and then duplicate and rebroadcast it. This will help to extend your Wi-Fi’s signal over more distance – including in your garage.
For product support on your Genie Aladdin Connect go here for installation videos, FAQs, a compatibility guide, and to learn about our smart home partners. If you need additional assistance, please contact our customer service line at 1-866-599-4995. Our agents are available from 8AM-7PM CT on Monday-Friday and from 9AM-5PM CT on Saturdays.