Motor Assembly (Dual Encoder DC Screw Drive) - 38631A.S
38631A.S Genie DC Screw Drive Motor Replacement
DC Screw Motor Assembly Replacement
This repair will require removal of the unit from it’s mounting hardware and repairs made on a clean work surface. Refer to your Owners Manual and/or Installation Poster for proper assembly and carefully read and understand all warnings and cautions pertaining to your unit.
BE SURE ELECTRICAL POWER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE INPUT POWER LINES PRIOR TO REMOVING THE MOTOR COVER.
ANY AND ALL REPAIRS MADE TO THIS UNIT MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR DISCONNECTED FROM THE OPENER AND IN THE CLOSED POSITION.
1. Before pulling emergency release cord, make certain people and objects are clear of door opening. Pull emergency release cord on carriage to disengage opener to close door if necessary. If unable to lower door using opener, use extreme caution manually closing door.
2. Unplug opener power cord from power receptacle.
3. Open lens cover by pressing middle tab inward to swing down and remove light bulbs. FIG. 1.
4. Mark wires to help facilitate replacement and remove wall control and Safe-T-Beam wires from terminal block located on side of opener FIG. 1. Use small common screwdriver to press in on orange tabs while gently pulling wires from block.
5. Remove network and battery backup harnesses from front of opener (if applicable).
6. Remove the cotter pin & clevis from door arm to separate door from opener. Door arm will swing downward. FIG. 2.
7. Remove motor head and rail assembly from mounting brackets/ hardware and set on a clean work surface or floor.
Note: Be aware of the motion detector bulb on bottom of powerhead cover (if equipped). Do not set operator weight on this bulb.
8. Remove the 6-7/16” self-tapping bolts from the rail/motor mounting flange and pull rail and coupler from motorhead. FIG.3. Set rail assembly aside.
9. Remove two 5/16” screws securing powerhead cover to chassis and swing open to expose control board. Fig. 4.
NOTE: Do not remove control board from cover, shown for clarity only.
10. Unplug these harnesses from the control board. FIG. 5.
• Motor harness
• Opto harness
• AC in harness
• Green ground wire to chassis from light harness (if equipped).
11. Powerhead cover can now be removed from opener chassis.
12. Remove three motor mounting bolts from the motor frame FIG. 6. Remove motor assembly.
13. Apply lube to the shaft and install Opto Wheel onto replacement motor assembly. FIG. 7.
14. Install the new replacement motor 38631A.S assembly in reverse order.
OPTO HARNESS NOTE:
Check the type of circuit board installed in your opener (see FIG. 8). Use
appropriate harness included with this kit before installing the motor.
15. Hang powerhead cover to chassis to install harnesses. Including green ground wire to chassis (if equipped) Note: Be certain to install all harnesses in the correct position being sure to install with locking tabs facing each other. (Detailed in FIG. 5 - Step 10)
16. Secure powerhead cover onto chassis using 2- 5/16” screws.
17. Install rail to motor head assembly using the coupler, mounting flange and 6-7/16” self-tapping screws.
18. Reinstall opener assembly in reverse order as removed. Reference your owners manual and installation poster.
19. Install wall control and Safe-T-Beam® wires. Install battery backup and/or network harnesses if applicable.
20. Install light bulbs and close lens cover.
21. Plug opener into the receptacle.
22. Clear and reprogram limit controls per owners manual.
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Hello Can you tell me which motor I need to replace the motor on a GENIE PRO 88 1/3 horse power screw drive. And how much does it cost to send it to me in France ? Thank you Phil
We do not have the replacement motor for the Pro 88 model garage door opener.