Optical Encoder (RPM Sensor) 39155R.S- DC Screw Drive Models
39155R.S DC Opto Sensor Assembly Replacement
This repair will require removal of the unit from it’s mounting hardware and repairs made on a clean work surface. Refer to your Owners Manual and/or Installation Poster for proper assembly and carefully read and understand all warnings and cautions pertaining to your unit.
BE SURE ELECTRICAL POWER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE INPUT POWER LINES PRIOR TO REMOVING THE MOTOR COVER.
ANY AND ALL REPAIRS MADE TO THIS UNIT MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR DISCONNECTED FROM THE OPENER AND IN THE CLOSED POSITION.E MOTOR COVER.
1. Before pulling emergency release cord, make certain people and objects are clear of door opening. Pull emergency release cord on carriage to disengage opener to close door if necessary. If unable to lower door using opener, use extreme caution manually closing door.
2. Unplug the garage door opener power cord from power receptacle.
3. Open lens cover by pressing middle tab inward to swing down and remove light bulbs. FIG. 1.
4. Mark wires to help facilitate replacement and remove wall control and Safe-T-Beam wires from terminal block located on side of opener FIG. 1. Use small common screwdriver to press in on orange tabs while gently pulling wires from block.
5. Remove network and battery backup harnesses from the front of opener (if applicable).
6. Remove the cotter pin & clevis from door arm to separate the garage door from the garage door opener. FIG. 2.
7. Remove motorhead and rail assembly from mounting brackets/ hardware and set on a clean work surface or floor.
Note: Be aware of the motion detector bulb on bottom of powerhead cover (if
equipped). Do not set operator weight on this bulb.
8. Remove the 6-7/16” self-tapping bolts from the rail/motor mounting straps and pull rail from motorhead. FIG.3. Set the screw drive rail assembly aside.
9. Remove two 5/16” screws securing powerhead cover to chassis and swing open to expose control board. Fig. 4.
NOTE: Do not remove control board from cover, shown for clarity only.
10. Unplug these harnesses from the control board. FIG. 5.
• Motor harness
• Opto harness
• AC in harness
• Green ground wire to chassis from light harness (if equipped).
11. Powerhead cover can now be removed from opener chassis.
12. Remove three motor mounting bolts from motor frame FIG. 6. Remove motor assembly.
13. Using an 11/32 socket or nut driver, press down on encoder wheel mounting clips while pulling wheel off of spline shaft. FIG. 7.
14. Remove and retain screw(s) holding encoder to motor frame FIG. 8.
15. Remove and retain e-ring holding motor gear to motor shaft. FIG. 8.
16. Remove and retain motor gear. FIG. 8.
17. Install replacement encoder assembly with screw(s).
18. Install motor gear and e-ring to motor shaft.
19. Snap encoder wheel into place. (Interrupter fins face encoder.)
20. Install motor assembly in reverse order.
Note: Be certain to install all harnesses in the correct position being sure to install with locking tabs facing each other. (Detailed in FIG. 5 - Step 10)
21. Hang powerhead cover to chassis to install harnesses. Including green ground wire to chassis (if equipped)
HARNESS NOTE: Check the type of circuit board installed in your opener (see FIG. 9). Use appropriate harness included
with this kit.
22. Install powerhead cover onto chassis using 2- 5/16” screws.
23. Install rail to motor head assembly using the screw drive coupler, mounting flange and 6-7/16” self-tapping screws.
24. Reinstall opener assembly in reverse order as removed. Reference your owners manual and installation poster.
25. Install the wall console and Safe-T-Beam® wires. Install battery backup and/or network harnesses if applicable.
26. Install the light bulbs and close the light lens cover.
27. Plug the garage door opener into the power receptacle.
28. Clear and reprogram the limit setting controls per the garage door opener owners manual.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.